Orthodontics is not just for children and teens. In fact, 1 in every 5 patients in orthodontic treatment is an adult. No one is too old to undergo orthodontic treatment.
Adults seek orthodontic treatment for many of the same reasons as children. Some adults had orthodontic problems as children but were unable to correct them until now. Others, who had treatment as children, may need further treatment as adults due to relapse or limitations in initial treatment.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontics
- Straighten teeth to create a more aesthetic, healthy and beautiful smile
- Improves your ability to clean your teeth properly, especially for crowded or overlapping front teeth
- Improves your ability to chew your food correctly with an established bite
- Aids in resolving the issues of missing teeth
- Closes gaps and spaces between the teeth which also improves aesthetics
- Reduces wear and tear on teeth due to grinding or poor bite. Enamel does not regenerate itself. Once its gone… its gone, until replaced by expense dental care.
- Jaw surgery sometimes is indicated to correct discrepancy between the upper and lower jaws as a result of heredity, long term breathing problems, and finger habits during childhood to name a few
- Correct movement of teeth due to lack of long term retainer wear after previous orthodontic treatment
Appearance of Braces
Many adults are are self conscious about wearing braces. Many new treatment options are available including clear ceramic braces and Invisalign® the “braceless alternative” to straighten teeth. This technology involves clear removable aligners, built using the latest in advanced 3D imaging and orthodontic treatment technology to straighten teeth.
For more severe problems, we often recommend clear ceramic brackets during orthodontic treatment. The orthodontists at Cedarbrae and Danforth Orthodontic Centres will explain your options, based on your individual treatment concerns, and guide you in choosing the best orthodontic treatment option to suit your personal needs.
Soreness | Discomfort
did you know that orthodontic treatment is no more uncomfortable for adults than children?
- In general, adults will experience the most discomfort 12-24 hours after an orthodontic adjustment. The discomfort will disappear within 3 to 5 days. Tylenol or Advil is all that is required during this time.
- Modern appliances are smaller and more comfortable to wear, causing less irritation to lips and cheeks than with traditional orthodontic appliances of the past.
- Modern techniques and the latest in titanium technology, puts less pressure on the teeth that causes discomfort, which moves teeth quicker and with less effort. It also decreases the time required between appointment to every 8 – 10 weeks. Treatment time, on average, is completed in approximately 18 months or less.
The fee for adult orthodontic treatment is determined the same as any age patient. It is based on the severity of the problem, the complexity of the correction, the appliances used and the length of time to correct.
Dr. Banack, Dr. Haiat, and Dr. Pearlman have treated individuals in their 50’s, 60’s and even their 70’s. It is never too late to gain the smile you have always wanted. If you are considering orthodontic treatment in the Toronto area, contact us today to schedule your complimentary adult orthodontic evaluation. We look forward to guiding you through the orthodontic process to create the beautiful healthy smile you always wanted!